Disappointed with K-30.

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bob Corson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,216Gear list
Like?
Re: Disappointed with K-30.
In reply to rvonasa, Jan 8, 2013

None of us but the OP can know what conditions the camera and lens saw. How heavily was it `splashed`was it properly aclimatiized; were the`ports`properly closed and kept closed while in use; etc etc. On top of that so many here seem to read but not comprehend. The Statements made by Pentax about the sealing of the CAMERA do not apply to a WR lens . . . as several  have said DA* lenses are needed to get max benefit of sealing.

Also, this theory of rotating the zoom sucks water into the lens is laughable. I have used many a SLR in humid damp even wet situations zooming away and NEVER had water sucked into my lens or camera. Chances are the camera took a good soaking from splashes to have the amount of water in the body that has been described.

To say that Pentax is advertising and promoting weatherproof  or waterproof because some independant dealer or private citizen does a utube video is ludicrous. Also comparing to how a non removable lens camera functions in wet etc conditions to a removable lens camera is comparing apples to oranges . . . I mean that interface between lens and body is a huge `weak link`when it comes to providing weather resistance.

More to the point is the practical aspect. I mean how can you expect to get decent pictures if the lens has raindrops on the glass . . .just one of the reasons why I hate wearing glasses. My point being is that in order to get decent shots you need to provide reasonable protection so you can see thru the lens without obscuring the image so letting it get soaking wet makes no sense.

Finally, perhaps before whining here the OP should at least talk to Pentax to see what they will do. Perhaps they will surprise you despite how the camera has been used. And of course there is always the possibility that there is a defect in the lens or camera that resulted in moisture ingress but that will only be known if the unit is looked at by trained technician.

Nuff said.

-- hide signature --

Bob Corson

Bob Corson's gear list:Bob Corson's gear list
Pentax K-30 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow