Would you get the Pany 14mm or WEATHERPROOF Olympus 12-50mm to cover the wide end?

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pertgate01
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
Would you get the Pany 14mm or WEATHERPROOF Olympus 12-50mm to cover the wide end?
Jan 8, 2013

So after going back and forth multiple times on my future lens kit, I am set on two of my 3 lens kit.

I shoot street photography/ street portraits. I am set on the Olympus 75mm f1.8 and Panasonic 25mm f1.4.

Now I rarely use the wide end. I would use it for cityscape/architectural photos, which is a little rare for me, but when I do use the wide end, it is usually at night. For the sake of completeness, I feel like I need a lens to cover the wide end.

So, I have been living in the Northeast (Pennsylvania) for a couple months now. I am not sure how much it rains throughout the year, but there were days when I would NOT risk taking my camera out because of the rain. It would be nice to take advantage of the weatherproof feature of the Olympus OMD.

So I am sure I can purchase the Panasonic 14mm for the going used price of about $150 to $180. I would be able to purchase the Olympus 12-50mm kit lens for $250 more than the body only price.

How many have found the kit lens to be useful for rainy days? The weatherproof aspect would be the only reason I would be purchasing the kit lens over the cheaper, sharper, and faster Panasonic prime.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow