copyright: what are the five or 7 most important things you do to protect your work?

Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
quallsphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 170
Like?
Re: copyright: what are the five or 7 most important things you do to protect your work?
In reply to Natural Mysteries, Jan 8, 2013
Here are the things I am putting into practice, based on bad experiences and suggestions from business mentors:
1. Have specific, detailed contracts. Do not assume anything. Hope for the best in clients, but prepare for the worst. A few resources that have helped me are:2. Offer high-quality physical products from a professional lab (ex: framed canvass, acrylics, or prints mounted on masonite and styrene) that clients cannot easily duplicate at Sam's, Walmart, Costco, or Shutterfly.com.
3. Post low-resolution images online, and display them with prominent watermarks. Add contact and copyright info in EXIF.
4. If a client wants an online gallery of images, then get paid in full before posting them.
5. If a client requests high-resolution digital images, then CHARGE APPROPRIATELY. This way, you don't mind (too much) if someone reuses them without permission. In my case, that meant that I needed to RAISE my prices last year. Interestingly, the clients that have been willing to pay More for my services have been less likely to steal from me.
6. Imprint your name or company logo in the lower right corner of all images that are displayed or sold to the public.  If clients (ex: Professional athletes) want you to provide images without the logo, then CHARGE APPROPRIATELY for the loss of potential future revenue for referrals.
I feel your pain!
quallsphotography
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow