next lens choice for beginner

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Questions thread
Jeddi
Junior MemberPosts: 38Gear list
Like?
Re: next lens choice for beginner
In reply to trevor4455, Jan 8, 2013

trevor4455 wrote:

I have the e-510 with kit lens 14-42 and 40-150. I also have a OM 50 f-1.8, which I like very much. I am working on getting used to these but I was curious what you all thought about my next lens, if I should even bother.

I like to try and shoot landscape and wildlife, but I really enjoy the look of macro photography.

Moving away from the general trend of the other recommendations made so far ...

If you try to shoot landscapes, maybe something wide may be more fun?  One of my favourite, but inexpensive, and native ZD lenses is the 9-18mm - just fantastic for landscapes.  When I travel I find at least half my pictures are taken with this lens.

If you want to play with macro - well, yeah.  I have the ZD 50, and love it.  I used a friend's ZD 35 ages ago, and I think it's safe to say you'd be delighted with either.

But maybe consider grabbing something like a Raynox 250 - it's an inexpensive way of satisfying your interest in macro.  I've done some pretty reasonable shots with the Raynox clipped onto the front of the 40-150.  It also has the benefit of being usable on your next camera, if/when you decide to move to m43 or something else.

Similarly if you don't already have the gear, a macro rail, decent tripod, remote trigger, perhaps even a dinky ring or Oly branded flash with off-camera cable - these are all items that can be used on subsequent cameras, combined would probably be about the cost of a second hand ZD 35mm, and would make macro photography easier and more interesting.

Jeddi's gear list:Jeddi's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow