The Silver Fox
Junior MemberPosts: 45Gear list
Like?
Re: Did Fuji just wallop X-E1 sales?
In reply to rattymouse, Jan 8, 2013

rattymouse wrote:

lnbolch wrote:

DFPanno wrote:

About to pull the trigger but the new cams seem so much more complete.

If I really needed one I would buy in any case but since it is discretionary I will wait for the X-E1s.

Kinda weird in my view.

Same as Nikon. Half way into the run on many of their cameras, they bring out an "S" version, incorporating technology of the past couple of years without having to bring out an all new camera. D300->D300s for example. Renews and stimulates sales of older models with minimal capital outlay, compared to a whole new model.
The X100 and X-E1 are very different cameras. Fixed lens tied to a specific sensor, can only use lens components, excellent fill-flash at full power up to 1/2000th for use in the harshest sunlight, totally self-contained, silent. My X100 is my pocket/pouch camera that is always with me. My X-Pro1 is my ultimate urban, walkin'-'round system camera. Different purposes, different cameras, both excellent at what they do best—compliments rather than rivals.

You miss the point. WIth the X100s, we now know what is next in store for the X-E1 and X-Pro 1. People who want better autofocus or better manual focus ability now know it is coming in the next version of the system cameras. Before one could hope, but not prove, that the next version might offer an improvement but now it's different. Fujifilm has shown what they can do and now buying the current X-E1 and X Pro 1 is a decidedly less attractive move unless they MUST have the camera now.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

Rattymouse has hit the nail right on the head. I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on purchasing the X-E1 because of its less than stellar autofocus. I own the X100, and even with the improvements introduced by firmware, I didn't want to have to deal with that in the X-E1. I've been thinking of purchasing the Olympus OM-D E-M5 instead, for its superior autofocus, but I couldn't bring myself to do it, primarily because the X-E1 just handles so much better (yes, that's subjective, and not a knock on the Oly, which others will prefer for its handling).

But the announcement of the new X100S, with its promise of vastly improved autofocus through on-chip phase detection tech, changes my game plan considerably. If Fuji's claim about the X100S's autofocus improvements turns out to be true, then you know that this new autofocus tech will be incorporated into the X-E1's and X-Pro1's successors. And, since I don't *need* an new ILC at the moment, it makes waiting for the X-E1's successor worthwhile. In the meantime, I'll have to make do with my current setup, though I might want to supplement my stable with the new X20 for quick, portable shooting

The Silver Fox's gear list:The Silver Fox's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Canon PowerShot G11 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Fujifilm X-A1 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow