Canon 7D - same white-tailed deer I shot yesterday with my FZ200 - please note smearing in the fur.

Started Jan 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
eagle2a
Senior MemberPosts: 1,894
Like?
Re: Filling the frame - For eagle2a
In reply to J C Brown, Jan 7, 2013

J C Brown wrote:

eagle2a wrote:

Jimmy said: "I am in full agreement with all of your above comments and puzzled as to why you should think otherwise. As you will see from my first post on this thread I agreed with yuki's comment about the quality of the FZ200 image and the skill of the photographer. Also with almost 60 years experience of photography I know the importance of filling the frame wherever possible."

Sorry Jimmy. My post was not directed at anything you said, but rather a general observation. The new forum convention regarding posting still cause me to stubble from time to time.

As a photographer who has spent more time and money than I want to admit, I still have problems filling the frame as much as I should.

Don

PS: You and John Miles should have a lot in common, I would think.:-)

Thanks for the apology Don. I had assumed that, as suggested the automatic header in the new DPR format, your comments were addressed directly to me.

As I regard composition as one of the most important factors in an obtaining an attractive image and most of my photography was done with colour slides I am also well aware of the importance of precise framing. That is why I am so fond of my FZ50's manual zoom ring.

When I started to use a digital camera 12 years ago I found myself very frustrated by the Pinocchio lens and toggle zoom levers of my 3MP Olympus Camedia and my 5MP Panasonic FZ20 which I bought in October 2004.

When it had become clear that Panasonic were unlikely to produce an updated version of the FZ50 I took advantage of a special offer and bought mine for £199.99 in April 2008. Apart from its obvious limitations in low light and at high ISO, I like John Miles am very happy with my FZ50 and its outstanding ergonomic design.

Though I am generally happy with the image quality of the TZ30 which I bought as a camera I could carry in a pocket I frequently find myself frustrated by the difficulty of obtaining sufficiently accurate framing with the tiny toggle zoom lever.

Jimmy

-- hide signature --

J C Brown

I agree with your frustration with the "Fly By Wire" zoom of the FZ200 and all other cameras which use this method. Give me a manual zoom any time.

When you and I came up in photography that was the only method in use. Since it was also the only way to focus a lens as well, it just seemed to be right. While I have become accustomed to the current type of zoom the old manual method is still the preferred type for me.

Yes John Miles is quite a crusader for the FZ50 and the manual zoom. I almost bought (sent it back bought FZ200) the Fuji X-S1 because of the buttery smooth manual zoom. But the less than stellar AF and shake reduction turned me off. But there is no question that the X-S1 view finder and manual zoom are the best I have tried in a super zoom camera. To bad that they can not be incorporated into the current FZ200 without increasing the size and weight. "It is to dream!" Oh well.

Good shooting Jimmy.

Don

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow