A British approach, sound familiar Canada ?

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
kcbeatty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,761
Like?
Re: A British approach, sound familiar Canada ?
In reply to aus4ever, Jan 7, 2013

aus4ever wrote:

kcbeatty wrote:

aus4ever wrote:

kcbeatty wrote:

aus4ever wrote:

kcbeatty wrote:

KEVZPHOTOS wrote:

G. Gray wrote:

In England today you cannot carry any type of weapon for self defense and you cannot use a firearm to defend your home, family, or property.

Good, and I hope it stays that way...

KEV

-
"No problem can be solved at the level of consciousness which created it" - Albert Einstein

You don't feel any obligation to protect your family?

-- hide signature --

A wise man once told me that "Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect "
Kevin

Here in Sydney, shooting is rare. You don't need a gun because law and order is under control, and the crimes are less violent. As long as we don't stay out late at night at the wrong place at the wrong time, it's safe. You can't take your gun with you 24 hours, right?

-- hide signature --

Australia, home forever.
Freedom without discipline is chaos.

A lot of our violent crimes are over the drug trade and other things that are legal in some other countries. There is debate over whether it is worth relaxing our laws to reduce the criminal element. I'm just a citizen, I can't do anything besides vote on who represents me in the government.

I could take my gun with me for 24 hours with my concealed carry permit.

-- hide signature --

A wise man once told me that "Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect "
Kevin

I can see why you need a pistol for self defense if your law and order is so out of control. I just wonder how well the police can keep track of the guns. Even if there is a registry, what if someone moves to another address and does not update his record? What is the fine for that? What if he sells some of his guns and ammunition to a criminal and then reports those stolen? As you can see near the bottom of the link below, legal guns (I suppose it means registered) were used in about 85% of the shootings.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/guns-in-america-an-interactive-look-at-the-shocking-facts/story-e6frg6n6-1226539874646

-- hide signature --

Australia, home forever.

Our law and order isn't out of control. We have a very good police. These incidents are not predictable and the physical size and population make it hard for the police to be everywhere. These guys that "snap" and go on a shooting spree seem to be hard to predict. They are realizing that we are having a problem with mental health issues and are trying to come up with how to deal with it.

When you buy a gun a background check is made prior to the sale. If the sale is approved the gun is registered to the buyer. The gun registry is kept by the FBI in a national database but the guns are not tracked after the sale. When a gun turns up in a crime scene the registry is checked against the gun serial number. If the gun owner becomes a criminal and is convicted of a felony the gun is confiscated and the felon is forbidden from ever possessing a gun for the rest of his/her life.

If the gun owner sells his gun or it is stolen he better keep a good record of the sale. If stolen he needs to report it asap. Now this is how it is done where I live. Other states and large cities may have additional laws. It's not a perfect system but I feel there will be more regulations coming.

-- hide signature --

"Man is not free, unless government is limited."--Ronald Reagan.
Kevin

Thanks Kevin. A recent White Paper has highlighted some problem areas.
Have a look here and see what you think.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50613561

Perhaps one day all guns will have a chip built in for tracking.

-- hide signature --

Australia, home forever.

I read the White Paper.  There were few surprises to me.

Obama said today that he will take personal interest in making changes to prevent more gun violence.  Not sure how far they will go in their changes to the assault gun ban that is sure to follow.  I wish I could have some input but I am just a small drop of water in the ocean.

-- hide signature --

"Man is not free, unless government is limited."--Ronald Reagan.
Kevin

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow