Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
zenpmd
Contributing MemberPosts: 741Gear list
Like?
Re: How is the OMD so fast
In reply to Entropius, Jan 7, 2013

Entropius wrote:

zenpmd wrote:

If what everyone is saying is true, then it is unfair and even stupid that teh dpreview criticises the OMD-E5 for poor tracking autofocus - it cannot help it.

Why, then, however, are mirrorless devices on just phase detection?

"It can't help it" has nothing to do with anything. This isn't a competition where it's unfair to criticize a particular design for a failing just because it's difficult to overcome; this is a website telling people about the properties of different cameras so they can buy one that does what they need.

Regardless of why the E-M5 can't track moving subjects well, it can't, and if that's what you need you might ought to buy something else. (Frankly, I shoot a lot of wildlife, so tracking AF is something I could see myself using, but I may still buy an E-M5 just because it's so damn good at everything else.)

Its fair to point it out, but stupid to say 'at this price point we expect continuous AF to be better'. Its not like they were just a bit stupid, like Fuji with poor manual focusing software, or Nex 7 with its problem with historic wide angle lenses. Its an inherent weakness of the current technology that is all.

zenpmd's gear list:zenpmd's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow