How is the OMD so fast

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
duartix
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,476Gear list
Like?
Re: How is the OMD so fast
In reply to s_grins, Jan 7, 2013

s_grins wrote:

I totally agree! I think Oly use high end RISC processors to achieve this fabulous results. But I believe M43 systems fast focusing has something to do with lenses too. IMO, all M43 lenses have high contrast and resolution just because they they need high contrast and resolution for fast focusing - this is very essence of CDAF where (C) stands for contrast.

CD-AF is cheap. Too cheap.

All you have to do is apply a first order operation to a matrix, very similar to a contrast enhancement, and in the end get the total of it's elements. Remember that almost any camera does this for recording video, and yet they manage they do this at an overkill resolution for contrast detection.

The fabulous result isn't in the RISC processors, it's in the sensor readout speed, that allows them to take a LOT of contrast measures per second.

-- hide signature --

Duarte Bruno

duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow