More S95 vs RX100

Started Jan 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
mjdundee
Contributing MemberPosts: 790Gear list
Like?
Re: Crop example, advantage of 20MP
In reply to Robert Anderson, Jan 7, 2013

Robert Anderson wrote:

Of course it is always better to compose the the image perfectly when you shoot it. That's not always possible. That bird or deer is not going to wait for you to get closer. That kayak is not coming closer to the shore. You cannot always zoom with your feet.

When you hand the camera to someone else to shoot your picture, they often include too much background or shoot horizontally when you would have used vertical. For these situations it is really nice to have the room to crop and still get a high resolution image.

Certainly there are models which have a longer zoom but they do not fit in your pocket. For me, the combination of good performance indoors and room to crop, make this the best pocket camera available right now. I look forward to seeing Canon's answer to this in their lineup. I would prefer to stay with Canon if they had the same features.

I have owned the SX 260HS for a couple of months. It is just a little bigger than the S95 but still fits into your pocket perfectly and it has a great zoomlens from 25 - 500 mm. You can find some nice samples in my SX 260 gallery.

Although I don't really need the 500mm it was fun using it from time to time. This camera is a bit heavier and feels more secure and solid than the S95 and if - one day Canon will insert a larger sensor with more detail at ISO 800 and less artifacts from ISO 200 upwards, RAW + ads the same ring controll from the S95 - I will be the first to order it ; )

mjdundee's gear list:mjdundee's gear list
Olympus Stylus 720 SW Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX240 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow