Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,986Gear list
Like?
Re: How is the OMD so fast
In reply to papillon_65, Jan 7, 2013

papillon_65 wrote:

zenpmd wrote:

So Sony have introduced changes to their sensor, incorporating hybrid phase detection. It looks like Fuji are about to do the same in the updated x100s. But in either case they aren't/won't be as quick as the OMD.

How does OMD achieve the speed it does? What is the technology behind it?

I would assume that it's a simple case of more horsepower under the bonnet. The speed of AF is related to how fast the processor can compute the data and move the lens elements. The OMD has been criticised for it's price, but alongside the 5 axis IBIS and the fast AF then part of that price has to be related to the chip and computing power of the camera, which after all is a computer with a sensor and lens attached. I don't think there is any special Olympus magic going on, I just think they have used good quality processors in this camera.

-- hide signature --

Any problem on earth can be solved by a well aimed Pomegranate...
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

I totally agree! I think Oly use high end RISC processors to achieve this fabulous results. But I believe M43 systems fast focusing has something to do with lenses too. IMO, all M43 lenses have high contrast and resolution just because they they need high contrast and resolution for fast focusing - this is very essence of CDAF where (C) stands for contrast.

Regards

S.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow