Opinions on best wide (budget) prime lens?

Started Jan 6, 2013 | Questions thread
davidgp
Regular MemberPosts: 461Gear list
Like?
Re: Opinions on best wide (budget) prime lens?
In reply to Love To Shoot, Jan 7, 2013

Love To Shoot wrote:

I'm currently in search of the best budget friendly prime lens in the 20-40mm range. I currently own the 50mm F/1.8 and I love it, but it's a little hard to work with inside on my T3i as I seem to always be backing into walls trying to get good shots.

I'm kind of stuck between three lenses at the moment, the Canon EF 35mm f/2, the Canon 40mm EF f/2.8, and the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM.

I was pretty set on the 35mm until I started reading about the 40mm which sounds like an outstanding lens, but I wasn't sure if 10mm is much of a difference from my 50 and worth having two primes so close together. Can anyone give an opinion on the IQ difference between the 35 and 40?

Additionally, I've read that the 30mm Sigma is THE perfect prime lense for the APS-C sensors. It's a little bit more than my budget allows, but if it's substantially better than the other two lens's I'm looking at, I'll save the extra cash to make that purchase.

Basically, just looking for thoughts and opinions on these three lenses and what everyone else thinks is the best prime to go w/ my T3i. Or if there is a better lens in the same price range as these please let me know!

Thanks,
C

I'm in the exact same position... have the nifty-fifty; love it, but at times it's too long indoors.  I'm also on a tight budget. So I've been lookng at my options...

I tried the 40mm pancake but returned it after learning that a 2.8 max aperture doesn't give me the very narrow dof I am looking for.

I ruled out the 35f2 due to the harsh bokeh.

I would buy the sigma 30f1.4 but hesitate because it is EF-S and I want to go full-frame in the next three years, so I've tentatively decided not to invest in any EF-S lenses.

I am considering saving my pennies for a 35f1.4 (Samyang or Sigma).

davidgp's gear list:davidgp's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
imqqmi MOD
imqqmi MOD
HmmmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow