ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Wafin
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?
How well does the A99 work for sports photography
Jan 7, 2013

All:

Thanks for taking the time to read this post as I've celebrated my 1st year in DSLR/SLT photography this month and I've counted on the forums here to help me a lot in my decisions.  Now I'm hoping you can help me once again.

Last year I purchased the A55 in hopes to photograph my daughters gymnastics and as the camera has done well...I just feel that at the low light levels in the gyms that she competed worked against me.  I had to bump up the ISO to high to get the shutter speeds I needede to keep her sharp.  This resulted in a lot of noise and I've tried shooting in raw only as well as jpeg and even though people love the shots, they are just too noisy for me.  I was renting the sigma 70-200mm f2.8 and also the sony 70-200 f2.8 lenses and they provided me with the fast lenses that I needed but I still had to sit around 1600-3200 iso and at 1600 I had a lot of blurry shots due to having to use a slower shutter speed to get the correct exposure.  At 3200 the noise just kind of blows up.

After reading here, I think the next step for me is to go full frame and that will help me sit around the 3200-6400 iso and get shutter speeds of closer to 400-500 and still have acceptable pictures.

My question now is concerning those focus points on the a99.  They seem to be all clustered in the center and I've been looking into the canon d5 mark iii and the nikon d800 as other possible options and their focus points seem to be a bit wider thus allowing me to capture my daughter as she goes from one side of the routine to the other a bit easier.  Has anybody had any issues with the lack of coverage of the focus points when trying to shoot fast action sports?  With the a55 I have a bit more coverage and I'm happy with that.  I just look at what the canon can offer and it seems like a huge amount of coverage.  In theory, I'd hope that this would help me get more keepers but that's why I'm asking you all here for help.

Unfortunately, going to canon or nikon leaves behind the evf which I love.  This I can't really tell if it is going to be a bigger deal that I think it may be as I love seeing what I get before shooting but maybe then I'll be able to track my daughter better as she is flipping across the floor.  I got pretty good at panning with her but there were still times she was missing a few toes. ;(

Thanks!

Wafin's gear list:Wafin's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A55 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +13 more
Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow