Strange color negatives among good ones

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lemming51
Forum ProPosts: 12,660Gear list
Like?
Re: Strange color negatives among good ones
In reply to Dan Hudson, Jan 7, 2013

Dan Hudson wrote:

I am not new to film photography, but it has been years since shooting film. I am familiar with teaching black and white photography along with processing the film. I have had no experience with color processing other than finding a good processor. I shot about 3 rolls of color negative film at Jekyll Island during the last few days. I am shooting with a Canon EOS Rebel G with a 28-80mm lens. Most all negatives turned out great as to color, except for the ones of the Brunswick bridge. I will try to include the original and my post processed result. The negatives of this bridge are greenish, especially the bridge which of course produced redish positive images. These are the only ones out of about 40 shots on the same film....Fugi 200 35mm. Wish I could find some 100 speed film. Help if you can and many thanks.

Strange reddish color on all the bridge photos

Result after much post processing

-- hide signature --

Christian Amateur Photographer

Daylight isn't always ~5000K.  Early morning (which is what this looks like) and late afternoon are commonly called "golden hours" because the light is much warmer.  This is often a sought after affect, but if looking for a correct color "record" shot then it requires correction.  A digital body with auto WB automatically compensates but film has a fixed WB and requires color correcting filters when the lighting doesn't match it.

There is (was) a Kodak number system of color correction where 81-series and 85-series were "warming" filters to add more red, and 80-series and 82-series to decrease red (or add blue).

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow