Started Dec 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Steve Balcombe
Forum ProPosts: 10,676
Like?
Re: Indoor dog shows: lens advice for my 60D
In reply to Peter Galbavy, Jan 7, 2013

Peter Galbavy wrote:

About 1/2 way down (my bold):

"The stabilization characteristics of the Optical Image Stabilizer are set so that it is most effective when photographing stationary subjects, but when panning of a moving subject is attempted, shake-return may affect the finder image, interfering with framing. This occurs because camera movement such as panning is judged to be shaking, activating the image stabilizer. To resolve this problem, Canon developed Optical Image Stabilizer Mode 2. In this mode, if you move the lens to follow a subject for a pre-determined time, the Optical Image Stabilizer continues to correct any camera shake that's perpendicular to the panning motion. However, the Optical Image Stabilizer doesn’t try to correct for the intentional panning, giving you a smooth viewfinder image as you follow the moving subject."

Nope. That's not a description of automatic panning detection, it's a description of Mode 2 in IS lenses with a mode switch (i.e. the vast majority).

The 15-85 and 55-250 have no mode switch. They auto-detect panning and switch automatically.

For completeness and to avoid confusion - the 18-55 and (surprisingly) the 24-105L have no mode switch because they don't support a panning mode.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow