petreluk
Regular MemberPosts: 273
Like?
Re: By June??
In reply to Rod McD, Jan 7, 2013

Rod McD wrote:

Hi again James

I'm with you.

On conservatism being prudent, - I certainly didn't mean to imply that it should be stultifying. It has to be matched by creativity and flexibility to adapt and succeed in a changing business environment. FF is now part of that, and whatever some people may think of the timing, Pentax are responding.

On the impact of the Ricoh purchase - it means that Pentax has an investor or underwriter, but of course, Ricoh will want a return on its investment. Ricoh's purchase may open up opportunities, but it doesn't mean that Pentax has to be any less pragmatic about long run business decisions.

And on blogs.........well I think rather than serving a purpose (which they undoubtedly still do) they have also become an end in themselves........ They do indeed keep us entertained - as the millions of threads in DPR demonstrate.

Cheers, Rod

My understanding is that Pentax and Ricoh are the same thing now, in the sense that Pentax cameras are 100 per cent owned by Ricoh, so the days of bringing an investor on board are long gone. The name itself is only a brand and the old Ricoh camera division has been folded into it. So in the end where Pentax go from here is entirely up to Ricoh which must have had a plan or intention of some kind when they bought Pentax. I'd have thought the prudent balance lies in keeping enough of the Pentax faithful onside while also appealing strongly to new buyers which is where any growth is going to come from. Possibly the weighting might be more towards new buyers since the faithful aren't known to be very free with their pocketbooks and many might already have the FF lenses they would need.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow