How is the OMD so fast

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,958Gear list
Like?
Re: How is the OMD so fast
In reply to zenpmd, Jan 7, 2013

zenpmd wrote:

Does it have phase detection on the sensor or is it purely a contrast system?

The heart of this question is to see if it is an inevitability that the Nex and Fuji systems will quickly catch up.

It is CDAF only because all m4/3's lenses are designed for CDAF focusing. Combining CDAF and PDAF on a sensor is a kludge which means that you are forced to use larger lenses which are designed for PDAF. The only disadvantage of CDAF focusing is the current state of play with regards to C-AF focusing. I believe that CDAF systems will overcome this with time though it doesn't bother me personally. So while other systems will enable you to use pdaf you lose the size advantage of the smaller lenses, so why not just use a DSLR instead?
CDAF lenses need to be smaller and lighter because of the movement of the lens elements required in the shuffling process while they obtain focus. The main advantage of CDAF focusing is the accuracy of focusing. They're either bang on or they sometimes pick the background out if you are using a large sized focusing box. On the OMD I haven't found this to be a problem as the smallest focus box is small enough to avoid this. PDAF focusing can be problematical on plenty of lenses and is not as reliable in my experience. On many cameras you need to calibrate your pdaf lenses individually, not great for me personally. There are thousands of threads on lens calibration on PDAF systems on DPR alone. With the OMD I have found that the focusing is totally reliable and accurate, that works for me.

-- hide signature --

Any problem on earth can be solved by a well aimed Pomegranate...
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow