Travel advice please: Las Vegas to Seattle

Started Jan 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
philm5d
Contributing MemberPosts: 574
Like?
Re: Travel advice please: Las Vegas to Seattle
In reply to Gherry, Jan 7, 2013

Thanks Gherry and others above for taking the time to post me on this. All has been archived for  future trip planning. Bless you all.

Gherry wrote:

I live in Seattle and have made the trip to the Southwest quite a few times. There are lots of choices and a lot to see along the way. It's about a 20 hour trip, so if you allow five days you can drive four hours a day and sight see for seven or eight. I would recommend heading West from Las
Vegas and catching 395 North towards Reno just after the California border. It heads along the eastern side of the Sierra Nevadas. They have a 10,000 foot sheer rise off of the dessert floor and are beautiful. Mamoth Lakes are about three hours before Reno, but Reno has Lake Tahoe which is even prettier. As someone pointed out around Reno, you can cross over Tioga Pass into the Yosemite high country. Probably don't have time to get into Yosemite valley, but there are many great views in the high country. Olmstead Point, Tenaya Lake, Tuolumne Meadows. Then I would head back out to 395. After Reno I would head to Ashland, Oregon, which gets you on I-5. Ashland has a world famous Shakespear festival all summer if you are interested. Just north of Ashland is Crater Lake, as some one pointed out, well worth seeing. And then you can head north to Seattle along I-5. It takes you through a lot of forest, the Willamette valley if you like good wine, across the Columbia where there are lots of Dams to see and finally to Seattle. Then you can make a two or three day trip back to Las Vegas heading east on I-90 and then 84 south to twin falls, Salt Lake City and Las Vegas. The trip along I-90 takes right by the Roslyn exit and you can spend a few hours seeing it before continuing on your way. It has limitted sights. The cafe, but the cemetery is interesting. It is filled with the names of Polish and Lithuanians who came to work in the mines. But you do not want to make this trip before may. Most of the places I mentioned are above 8000 feet (2700 meters) and you might spend all five days stranded in small towns because of snow.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow