Zeiss 24-70 @ 70mm on Full Frame???

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
TristanW
Regular MemberPosts: 252Gear list
Like?
Re: Zeiss 24-70 @ 70mm on Full Frame???
In reply to Spendthrift, Jan 7, 2013

Spendthrift wrote:

I picked up an a99 a few weeks ago and I love it. I'm slowly adding lenses and one of the more recent ones is a cz 24-70. It's a wonderful lens with incredible build quality and focusing. It's quite sharp at most focal lengths...I'm actually quite pleased with the results from 24-55, however, once it gets to 60 and in particular 70mm I'm not exactly thrilled. It's sharp enough in the center, but, the edges leave much to be desired. If I stop down to f11 at 70mm, the edges just become acceptable.

I've done a lot of sleuthing on the net and have found some reviews that seem to mirror what I'm experiencing, such as 'slr gear', yet, I've also seen people comment that it is sharp across the frame at all focal lengths.

Can you fine people with Full Frame Sony cameras and the Zeiss 24-70 please comment on your edge performance @ 70mm, particularly shooting landscapes/cityscapes. I'm guessing by the few reviews that I've been able to find that my copy is normal but I'd like to make sure before my return period is up.

Thank you

Evan

I got same feeling on my Zeus 2470@70mm. I have to stop down to f14 for  acceptable corner IQ.

im still wondering if I have to send it to service center for optical adjustment. (Micro af adjustment has been set to -5)

-- hide signature --

Tristan
1635ZA, 2470ZA, 135ZA, 70400G, 28/2.8 ; E 18-55;
58AM / 43AM;
a850 / NEX-6

TristanW's gear list:TristanW's gear list
Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G SSM II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow