Opinions on best wide (budget) prime lens?

Started Jan 6, 2013 | Questions thread
MgrBuddha
Junior MemberPosts: 34Gear list
Like?
Re: Opinions on best wide (budget) prime lens?
In reply to MAC, Jan 7, 2013

MAC wrote:

Protophoto knew what to do - a painful start

but also try to work with a supplier that has a good return policy

if you know what to do and are patient, it can work out

Agree to that. I bought a Sigma 50mm 1.4 at the same time that I bought the 30mm. I noticed I never could get the eyes sharp when using large apertures on portraits, just the nosetip. I read up on it and discovered this thing called back-focusing (and front-focus). I went back to the store and they offered to send in my camera with the lens to have it adjusted, but this would take a couple of weeks so I declined. Instead I was welcome to try out the two other copies of the lens they had in the store. I was allowed to set up my camera on a tripod and do the battery-test right there in the store. The screen on the 650D (Rebel4) is good enough to spot the problem, and sure enough the other two copies of the lens had more or less the same problem. I had tried all my other lenses at home and they were perfect, so I knew it wasn't the camera. I was then offered to try out a Canon 50mm 1.4 and this was spot-on sharp. I got the Canon lens instead.

So paying a little bit more in the local camera store instead of buying the dead cheapest on the net will be my policy from now on.

MgrBuddha's gear list:MgrBuddha's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
imqqmi MOD
imqqmi MOD
HmmmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow