Trinity vs. Primes? What would you do?

Started Jan 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,104
Like?
Re: Trinity vs. Primes? What would you do?
In reply to NikonManSoCal, Jan 7, 2013

I think the key thing will be for you to determine, as best you can, specifically what wide angle focal lengths you really use or intend to use the most. I hear a lot of people go crazy over super wides (the 14's and 15's), yet in 30+ years of photography, I rarely see anyone who is actually that amazing with one. Shooting ultra wide well is an art, and a rare one I think. I know I see the world in 20mm, 24mm, 35mm chunks on the wide angle end, and 60/85/105/135/200mm chunks on the telephoto end, so I've decided to make sure I optimize my kit by spending money in the ranges where I really can justify it. And ultra wide isn't me, although I have the 14-24 for the few times I need something crazy and for it's zoom flexibility around 20mm (and I also have the Zeiss 21 now and there is an active post  this forum where I compared it to the zoom if you haven't read it)

The Samyang is Korean. Their 14 seems to be pretty sharp, but distorts like crazy. Can't have everything for a bargain price, but it would be my choice if you just needed one for the occasional need as opposed to it being a critical and much-used focal length. 20/24/35 and the rough 85-135mm range are my most used focal lengths, by far, so that's where I'm concentrating my cash myself....

-m

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow