Pushing the limits of the G3

Started Jan 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,618Gear list
Like?
Re: Why the use of the manual focus lenses?
In reply to Philly, Jan 7, 2013

Philly wrote:

I just got a G3 also, and have been using it with my Oly 14-54mm lens. AF is OK, if you can wait 1 to 2 secs. Just curious on why you chose to use manual focus lenses? The shot came out pretty sharp, but wasn't it difficult to manual focus with the camera over your head? Do your manual focus lenses give you something that you could not achieve with any AF lenses you have?

Good question.

The only AF lenses I have are the kit lens and the Oly 40-150. The kit lens is a bit slower than my Canon FD 28mm 2.8 and a lot slower than my Nikkor-S 50mm 1.4. The Oly 40-150 is even slower than the manual focus alternatives in my bag such as my 135mm 2.8 and the aforementioned 50mm 1.4.

Plus, I enjoy using manual focus lenses. In this case the distance-to-subject really didn't change appreciably with the camera overhead. I just prefocused at eye level normally. The thing about manual focus lenses is that I know what they're going to focus on; there's no second guessing the autofocus system. Would a fast autofocus lens have worked as well in this situation? Probably, except for the lag to grab focus.

The other thing that the Canon FD 28mm 2.8 and Nikkor 50mm 1.4 give me over the autofocus equivalents is an extra $500 in my pocket. I bought both for under $100.

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow