Started Dec 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Atoche
Contributing MemberPosts: 614Gear list
Like?
Re: 40mm f2.8 STM... why not?
In reply to Philippe Castagna, Jan 7, 2013

Philippe Castagna wrote:

Thank you for your time Atoche!

right now I'm checking on my iPad and the result is pretty close to my eyes.

Maybe a short advantage to the 24-105 however integrating the fact that the 40mm is at f2.8 it seems that both are really close.

The 17-40 is not that far behind.

the fact that you proceed with the 7 D do not allows us to compare really in the corners but it's a good compare to see.

What is your feeling on the result of your test?

-- hide signature --

Philippe

Philippe - you are most welcome - i had fun giving this a whirl!  This test reaffirms my belief that this lens has a place in my satchel (which i carry every day), as i said originally "why not?"  Even in my crude test - the sharpness speaks for itself.  I do realize that with a crop sensor camera - the edges are really "center" or more so on FF.  Perhaps someone with a FF camera can do the same type of test and post the results?

I think the performance/price of this lens makes it a good value, and i think the performance/sharpness makes this lens great for a light weight setup.  i find myself taking my T1i/40mm STM combo places i would not take the 7D/Sigma 50mm combo (due to size and weight).  I like the build quality, although I do notice the lens is loud while focusing during video capture (some say it is quiet for video but i do not agree).  My lens also has the "wont auto focus after you press on the front element" issue.

I will say, if I am going for a more serious setup, I put the 24-105L on my T1i, 24mmL on my 7D and take the 70-300L along "just in case".  Even then, i throw the 40mm in the bag just because I can Due to its small size.

I like having options... Thank you for your interest and for motivating me to try this comparison.

-- hide signature --

"I may be a geek, but it pays for the car...!"

Atoche's gear list:Atoche's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2 GPS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-3N +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow