Like?
Re: Ditto
In reply to RealPancho, Jan 7, 2013

RealPancho wrote:

rkeller wrote:

RealPancho wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

zumbalak wrote:

Well photos are nothing significant at all, and I read the text. I also read the next post where I actually smiled to see the original poster posting another post saying "super cool" to his original post

Once again, the photos are of nothing significance. And no offense, they actually make the OMD look like any other cell phone out there that can take same photos with ease, and probably you have one in your pocket everyday.

Those pictures are, what's the right word ... mundane. The only interesting thing about them is very noticeable chromatic aberrations at 14mm.

If you read the posts that follow yours, you'll find constructive comments that might have some genuine worth to the OP. I would say that Detail Man and Surefoot found something of interest by making such comments. Zumbalak's do not: they are merely empty, unsolicited criticism.

Now, people post boring photos all the time. I don't see a problem with that, neither I see a problem with anybody calling the things the way they perceive them. The only problematic thing is when people taking offense at others opinions even though they asked for it

Read the OP's post: he didn't ask for anything. He simply said, in effect, "here's some photos."

And he followed up with, in effect, "I don't care what anybody else thinks." Which begs the question: why is he posting them on a public discussion forum?

He only said that after several barbs had been traded, not in the original post, but you do make a good point.

(if you can't handle a negative feedback -- don't post); as well as those who insist that the forum must be a mutual admiration society.

People often find logical implications where none exist. If a poster asks for opinions, comments, and/or criticisms, anyone can say anything they want. So no, this does not need to be a mutual admiration society. But when photos are posted with no request for comment, there is no reason to chime in with insults, particularly when they have no constructive value. Neither is there need for empty praise.

Posting on a discussion forum in the first place implies that discussion will happen. It's ridiculous to think otherwise.

I still say there is a difference between, "comments and criticisms welcome," and "here's some pictures I took." In the latter case, I'm not saying one CAN'T criticize, I'm simply asking why one would feel the need.

But why would one feel the need to post ion a discussion forum in the first place if ome can't handle discussion?

"There is no conversation more boring than the one where everybody agrees" -- Michel de Montaigne

I might agree with M. Montaigne, but I can't discuss it.

I frequently see photos of varying quality posted here, followed by comments that have minimal value, not because they're critical, but because they contain little to no insight, and even less utility. What's often interesting and amusing is looking at the galleries of the most critical responders and finding nothing but unimaginative, boring crap. People who live in glass houses, you know?

I agree that it is amusing. But it doesn't necessarily mean that their criticism is any less valid. Critiques should stand on their own merits.

-- hide signature --

"If you simplify your English, you are freed from the worst follies of orthodoxy. You cannot speak any of the necessary dialects, and when you make a stupid remark its stupidity will be obvious, even to yourself." - George Orwell "Politics and the English Language"

Sup wit dat?

"Unfortunately, in digital photography a lot of people are seeing pixels, not photographs ... Everyone together now: it's not the pixels. Sing it with me." - Thom Hogan

I would think that an adequate mastery of the technology would both prevent it from being a distraction and allow it to function as a tool.

Yes, you would think. But some people need reminders.

"If you pick up a camera with any sort of serious intent, you will at least occasionally need to use a flash. Done deal. Lock solid, Take it to the bank." - Joe McNally

Seems pretty narrow-minded.

On the contrary. It's the "natural" light or nothing crowd who is narrow-minded.

-- hide signature --

"If you simplify your English, you are freed from the worst follies of orthodoxy. You cannot speak any of the necessary dialects, and when you make a stupid remark its stupidity will be obvious, even to yourself." - George Orwell "Politics and the English Language"
"Unfortunately, in digital photography a lot of people are seeing pixels, not photographs ... Everyone together now: it's not the pixels. Sing it with me." - Thom Hogan
"If you pick up a camera with any sort of serious intent, you will at least occasionally need to use a flash. Done deal. Lock solid, Take it to the bank." - Joe McNally

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow