Moving to Lightroom from Aperture

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
threeOh
Regular MemberPosts: 325
Like?
Re: Moving to Lightroom from Aperture
In reply to noirdesir, Jan 7, 2013

noirdesir wrote:

Though in my view the bigger difference between Aperture and LR in regard to image management is not a 'closed' library but that Aperture has always an 'internal' organisational structure (the source pane) that is independent of the actual folder structure on disk and thus allows for virtual structures with albums and smart albums in this internal structure that is not constrained by the requirement to mirror an outside folder structure.

And that's Aperture's big advantage. A lot more flexibility. You can do this in LR4 through the use of albums but the rest is quite rigid.  As a recent adoptee of LR, I've found you simply import and immediately creat an Album. Then you have some flexibility. Renders your disk structure irrelevant locking you into LR for image organization. In Aperture I could mirror the drive's structure and still be able to easily find images in other apps.  On the other hand, I do like LR's Develop module. It may not look as nice but the results are quite good.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow