Brute force photography: 600,000 photos in 10 months with two NEX-5Ns

Started Jan 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Michael Everett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,721
Like?
Re: Brute force photography: 600,000 photos in 10 months with two NEX-5Ns
In reply to RGBaker, Jan 6, 2013

You have some very nice thoughts here and some excellent images.  I would like to add two quotations, one that disagrees with you, the other that states my own sense of art.

The first from Scott Adams, the creator of Dilbert:  "Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.  Art is knowing which ones to keep."

The  second one by the twentieth-century composer Ernest Bloch is about music but could equally apply to photography.  Full disclosure:  I just posted the quotation on another forum:

“ …and serious composers persist in the obsession with technique and procedure. They discuss and argue; they laboriously create their arbitrary, brain-begotten works, while the emotional element – the soul of art – is lost in the passion for mechanical perfection. …Art is the outlet of the mystical, emotional needs of the human spirit; it is created rather by instinct than by intelligence; rather by intuition than by will….”

And what makes a photograph art?  I don't know, but I know that an important component is that you feel something emotionally.  After it hits you in the gut then maybe you figure out why, if you are so inclined.  If you aren't, then the question may not matter.

Michael

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow