Canon 7D - same white-tailed deer I shot yesterday with my FZ200 - please note smearing in the fur.

Started Jan 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
RudyPohl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,989
Like?
Re: Canon 7D - same white-tailed deer I shot yesterday with my FZ200
In reply to ysal, Jan 6, 2013

ysal wrote:

Couple of things I noted, you were shooting in ISO 100 vs his 800. Also your subject was in full sun while his was in shade. I know that I loose lots of detail as soon as my subject goes into shade.

Having said all that, I think that the FZ200 (in the hands of a capable photog like you) is a real worthy competitor to many of the more (much more) expensive systems out there!!

-- hide signature --

yuki

Hi Yuki:

You are correct about my subject being in full sun, I meant to mention that. His subjects were in the shade, which not only means less overall available light, but it also means less contrast and therefore less detail. Directly lit subjects produce more contrast (unless you overexpose) and as a result contrast detecting focus systems work better.

Nevertheless, despite being in the shade, we can see from his EXIF data that he had an acceptable amount of light going to the sensor and the white snow prove it, but at ISO 800 even the larger 1.6 crop sensor on this high-quality camera could not resolve low contrast animal fur and smearing resulted.

So on second thought, to have made this a truly valid comparison I should have shot some images with the deer in the shade and compared the smearing. However, I wasn't trying to compare the FZ200 and 7D shooting deer in the shade at ISO 800, I was trying show that when out shooting the same subjects on the same day under the same "possible" lighting conditions, the FZ200 has the potential to bring home as good or better images, depending on the choices and actions of the photographer. (I purposely try not to shoot deer in the shade, but even so, as I described in a previous post, had the photographer been aware of his tendency of his camera to smear animal fur at IS0 800 he still had enough "room" in his setting to drop the IS0 to 100 and avoid much of not all of that smear.... sorry for droning on...I'm done now )

Rudy

-- hide signature --

The FZ200 - One step closer to bridging the gap.
Flickr photo gallery

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow