Who or What led to you getting into photography?

Started Jan 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GMack
Senior MemberPosts: 2,928
Like?
Who or What led to you getting into photography?
Jan 6, 2013

Just curious as to the "Who," "What," or "How," that led one into this hobby or business.

Mine was when my mom was visiting a friend of hers in LA.  They sent me out onto the patio at age 4 or 5 to watch her husband work.  He was under the patio cover shooting some perfume bottles and jewelry for JC Penny's catalog.  He told me "You sit in that chair and you don't move." (I think he hated kids.).

He had a chair and a glass and bottle of wine nearby.  Once in a while he would get up and move a perfume bottle on a table of fabrics and take a shot or two.  Then he'd sit back down, take a drink of wine, look at it some more, get up and move stuff around a bit, and take another shot.  No flash, just shade under the patio.  Maybe an old Rolleiflex cranker at the time.  Very crude studio back then.

Must have made some lasting impression that didn't surface on me until much later in college where I took every class offered over 3 years, and on to other sundry workshops and classes too.

Mack

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow