D600 / 3200 more shutter counts after Nikon service!

Started Dec 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Edmund17
Regular MemberPosts: 290
Like?
AZ blue: You are right...........
In reply to AZBlue, Jan 6, 2013

AZBlue wrote:

Peter Jonas wrote:

Nikonfan99 wrote:

It costs nikon far less to clean cameras as they come in while still under warranty compared to what a massive worldwide recall wold cost.

Yes it costs much less to repair the faulty units, than to recall a substantial portion of units manufactured. Repairing the faulty units is the appropriate action the manufacturer should take. A product recall is overwhelmigly related to products with safety issues. A dirty sensor in a DSLR (as inconvenient as it could be) is far from being a safety issue. In my view, a product recall would in no way be justified in this case.

Nikon has an obligation to repair the faulty units. Some of the cameras where the issue is discovered soon enough after purchasing the item are replaced by the retailers.

For recurring problems many of you are protected by consumer "lemon laws", so take advantage of that if you need to.

By all means let Nikon know you are having a problem. But the calmer and more objective you can keep your complaint, the better its chances for having a real effect would be.

They also feel that a certain amount of oil/dust on the sensor is okay. I can self clean myself so why risk my camera to them when they have no solution and are okay with still selling this camera with this issue? Shame

In my view about 10% or less (which is still a lot) of cameras sold will develop the dust issue. I have some sympathy for the manufacturer in this instance. When these units leave the production line none of them have the problem. But some will develop it sooner or later. It is impossible (without a reliable chrystal ball) to separate the units which will develop the fault from the ones that will not. And it would be unreasonable to expect any one to try to do this.

When a unit develops the fault it should be replaced or repaired. And Nikon and its retailers are doing that.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

How on earth are sensor spots indicative of a defective camera? The sensor is exposed to the elements every time you engage the shutter. Every time you change lenses, you introduce contaminants into the interior of your camera. When the mirror flips up and down, those contaminants make their way to the sensor. Mirror movement not only causes air flow, but it can also throw matter at the sensor which sits just behind. If there is any possibly legitimate complaint here, it's that Nikon's sensor cleaning function does not work very well to loosen particulate matter. Oil spots will have to be wet cleaned, obviously.

After being on this forum for a year, I'm starting to get a better sense for the types of people who come here. There are those who see maintenance issues as a defect. DSLRs require cleaning and some maintenance - it comes with the ownership. If you really don't like that, you should consider a camera with a sealed sensor.

Post edited by moderator to remove flaming and derogatory comments.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZ blue: You are right, many types of people come to this forum. I am the type who wants to enjoy a healthy camera and wish to find a solution to a problem experienced by many.

This is not my first Nikon, nor the first of many professionals here. And these are not dirt spots, but oil spots sprayed from a mechanism.

Ed

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow