Calling GH3/G5 owners with big telephoto lenses. Is the electronic shutter useful?

Started Jan 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
duartix
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,527Gear list
Like?
Calling GH3/G5 owners with big telephoto lenses. Is the electronic shutter useful?
Jan 6, 2013

If I may abuse the fact that you own a GH3 or a G5, I'd like to know if the electronic shutter is useful in one very particular situation that has proven quite hard for the GH2: long teles (300mm should do it) on a tripod and relatively low shutter speeds (<1/80s).

This kind of situation has proven to be too much of a challenge for my GH2 and it's mechanical shutter. The lack of light and the 5.6 maximum aperture on my 400mm Sigma mean that a lot of the times I'm working in the 1/100s-1/50s range. I have the camera mounted on a relatively solid tripod, but the mechanical shutter plus the extreme 800mm equivalent FL is enough to blur every photo even when using the 2s/10s timer.

Can you please try the electronic shutter against the mechanical one on a similar setup, with long telephoto, relatively low shutter speed, tripod mount and timed release?

Do you find any rolling shutter artifacts in the captured images such as these: http://m43photo.blogspot.pt/2012/12/gh3-electronic-shutter.html ?

I would really appreciate all your input!
--

Duarte Bruno

duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow