Canon 7D - same white-tailed deer I shot yesterday with my FZ200 - please note smearing in the fur.

Started Jan 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tidewater
Contributing MemberPosts: 719Gear list
Like?
Great post. My two cents...
In reply to RudyPohl, Jan 6, 2013

I use both types of cameras and I have seen similar things happen when comparing a dslr with a panny /Zeiss lens.

The Canon buck is showing a lot of shadow noise. The camera probably tried to reduce this and made a mess. That generation of cameras was susceptible to shadow noise at 800 ISO. Rudy OTOH would not let that happen with his FZ.

There is lot of CA on the borders of the snow covered branches and really poor definition which again could be smearing or artifacts. This happens but I have to wonder if the lens was really that good. Also wonder about IS and whether it was on. At any rate the lens on my primitive FZ5 and FZ20 easily outperform most "Kit" lenses on DSLRs.

One other thing, the DOF of the Canon could be so thin that a lot of the deer was a bit out of focus. The DOF with the small sensor Panny is very deep.

There are actually very few situations where an FZ in the hands of someone like Rudy, can't compare favorably with a DSLR

Great post. For more FZ stuff see my above post about color.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow