Please help vote on 'Winter Portraits of a Man'

Started Jan 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Slynky
Senior MemberPosts: 2,429Gear list
Like?
Re: Tony, I agree with your assumption...
In reply to Deleted pending purge, Jan 6, 2013

OldArrow wrote:

In all fairness, it must be added that Winter is actually a season of the year, nothing more.

The way it manifests itself at any point of the Globe is a rather localized characteristic, and maybe this should be well-defined at the point of Challenge creation.

There are places on Earth which will have snow all the year around, while other places may have never known it. Arctic summers aren't exactly known for their flowering meadows, and African winters aren't overly attractive to skiers. But these both do have their Decembers and Januaries.

So, if such a season-specific Challenge does not offer an exacting explanation as to what kind of images and/or scenery is exected, only time/date span becomes relevant and checkable.

And another thing... if no-one answers the troll, maybe he'll go away.

-- hide signature --

Fil

While I can agree and understand winter is a season and in some places, never has snow or ice, I was talking about context of the challenge. In too many of those photos, how would one even tell it is winter? There is no context to indicate it. Snow indicates it. Ice, too. And so on. So, if this contextual "evidence" isn't present in the photo, what's the point of "Man in Winter" when you really can't tell if the photo was taken in winter or in summer?

Given that kind of interpretation, I then suppose a challenge called (for example), "Autumn Colors" filled with photos that were taken within the confines of the dates of autumn showing--for example--fruit in a fruit stand would be fine. It was taken in autumn and has color.

I can tell you this ... if I purchased a wall calendar entitled WINTER, I'll be dam-ed if I would keep it if the photos had no snow, ice, or any other way to show it is winter and the only verification being the dates it was taken...

-- hide signature --

/A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to their country for an amount of "up to and including my life"./
(...from the generation that still uses capital letters and punctuation...)

Slynky's gear list:Slynky's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow