ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TedgFoto
Regular MemberPosts: 130
Like?
Help with lens calibration
Jan 6, 2013

I found this method for lens calibration

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjustment.html

However, I'm confused, and need some help to make sure I'm doing this right.

I've tested two lenses, nikon 17-35 f2.8, and tamron 24-70 f2.8 vc, both at 26mm

As far as I understand, I setup the pattern on my lcd screen, set up the camera at the proper distance, go into live view and with the lens in AF, allow it to focus on the pattern. I try this several times over, and the meter on the lens shows the exact same focal distance every time, dead on.

Then, I switch out of live view, and hit focus. The lens is not consistent every time. The focal distance jumps around and rarely seems to hit the same focal distance twice in a row. Granted it is very small discrepancies but it seems it's enough to keep AF from getting a sharp focus consistently. It did the same on both lenses.

So, my first question is, is this normal? Does the live view use something different to determine focus than non-live view?

Second question, although it was hard to tell because the 17-35 lens didn't seem to be consistent, it seemed to be consistently front focusing when compared to live view. I pushed AF fine tune all the way to +20 and still seemed to be front focusing.

Third, does AF fine tune ONLY effect the AF of the lens when NOT in live view? It seemed to not change a thing when focusing IN live view.

AM I DOING THIS RIGHT?

I recently picked up the 17-35 and my latest photo, once I got into lightroom with the raw files, seemed soft, so I was compelled to test.

Just looking for advice from the pros. Thanks so much!

Ted

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow