A 200mm lens for Sony Nex 5

Started Jan 6, 2013 | Questions thread
chromnd
Regular MemberPosts: 373Gear list
Like?
Re: A 200mm lens for Sony Nex 5
In reply to TonyC5D, Jan 6, 2013

TonyC5D wrote:

200 is pretty useless without OSS? How on earth did we manage in the old days I wonder, lol. I have a 200 Minolta MD, use 100 ISO almost all the time and usually manage to hand hold. If not I use a tripod or monopod, (the original OSS). With a lens mount it cost me about $100. There are plenty of options out there at a low cost, add a Raynox 250 for macro and away you go!

If you can use a tripod, missing OSS is surely not a problem. For 200mm (300mm equiv. 35mm) you should use a shutter speed of at least 1/250s @ f/6,3 or whatever the largest aperture is with the desired lens. You need very good light conditions for this if you don't want to shoot high ISO.

With OSS you're much more flexible - I was just pointing out. It's sure a thing to consider. I own the SEL18200 myself and shoot very often with ISO1600 even with OSS.

But I agree, the term "useless" was a little exaggerated

chromnd's gear list:chromnd's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow