Maxxum 7D as a cheap backup to the A77?

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Michaels7
Contributing MemberPosts: 500Gear list
Like?
Re: Maxxum 7D as a cheap backup to the A77?
In reply to Calico Jack, Jan 6, 2013

Calico Jack wrote:

arie wrote:

Calico Jack wrote:

Minolta 5D and 7D have suffered with FFB (first frame black) issues and are no longer repaired by Sony (UK) free of charge (check with your regional Sony agent if this service is still offered). A better option would be an Alpha A100 or better still, an A700. Both have a mag-alloy chassis and are decent cameras anyway. I wouldn't bother with the 5D or 7D. Likelihood is that it's develop the FFB problem and it'll cost plenty to get fixed and will then owe you more than it's worth. Does that sound like a sensible suggestion?

-- hide signature --

Mark @ Sonolta * Photography

I didn't know that the FFB problem can appear suddenly. I know some used ones I've seen have been "fixed", or so they say.

Mark I think your point is well taken. I'd rather spend $450 on an A700 (body) than a 7D for say $250. I wonder how the A700 compares to it in terms of ISO noise.

-- hide signature --

1500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was the center of the universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat. And 15 minutes ago, you knew that people were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. -MIB

With the last firmware update, it's an excellent intermediate platform and if you're a 'fair weather' shooter (as I am) and generally shoot in A-mode ISO 100, it's a great bit of kit. All Sony's suck at high ISO's anyway, so it ought not be an issue up to around ISO 1600, but if you can keep it below ISO 400 it excels. Base ISO is 200, but you can lower to 100, 160 etc. I would highly recommend it having owned several over the years and wouldn't hesitate to buy another if one was offered at the right price. Good bit of kit.

-- hide signature --

Mark @ Sonolta * Photography

That's not true. All of them do before the A99 suck. The A99 is a different kind of beast in the high iso department.

Michaels7's gear list:Michaels7's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow