Maxxum 7D as a cheap backup to the A77?

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Michaels7
Contributing MemberPosts: 500Gear list
Like?
Re: went with A700 (have a few questions) - thanks for your help.
In reply to arie, Jan 6, 2013

arie wrote:

Found a nice used A700 for 400. I appreciate all your feedback. I'm still tempted to get a 7D if I feel like checking it out, but it seems to me that it's basically the same camera with a few upgrades and a less buttons.

The only thing that will take getting used to is the prism VF vs. EVF.

Q: I assume I won't have a "live view" when it comes to adjusting exposure compensation. If so, I'll miss that.

Q: The review of the A700 of DPR mentioned that Sony's IDC didn't do a good job of converting RAW files into JPG, and introduced a considerable amount of moire as compared to Adobe's RAW conversion. Is this still the case. I'll probably be using DxO anyway, but just wondered.

Q: Anything I should check for right away as far as making sure the camera is fully functional? It's got a 14 day return on it. Plan on getting an after market warranty just to be safe.

-- hide signature --

1500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was the center of the universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat. And 15 minutes ago, you knew that people were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. -MIB

I never use Sony's software. Plus I've read too many bad things about it. I always use Adobe Photoshop for my needs.

The 7D is similar to the A700, but not as good as it the high iso. Imo, the 7D has better colors and is still a capable camera. I've used it for several years before my A700 purchase. 7D is a more solid and heavier camera. But the A700 beats it in almost all areas. Basically an aps-c version of the A900.

Michaels7's gear list:Michaels7's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow