Hi there. I'm wondering if the new mirrorless cameras are suitable for bird photography.

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
drj3
Contributing MemberPosts: 845Gear list
Like?
Re: Seems a convincing argument for a compact.
In reply to Great Bustard, Jan 6, 2013

Almost any camera, including any good P&S, can take good bird photographs as long as the bird is sitting in the open in good light.  Most cameras with prefocus can take reasonably good photographs of large flying birds against the sky.  In order for the camera to be good for general bird photography for BIF's in less than ideal situations, it needs to be able to continuously focus,  the camera needs to have the ability to focus on a small area, and the photographer needs to be able to adjust the shutter speed and compensate for changes in exposure while following the bird.  I don't know how you can do this without wheels on the front and back of the camera to adjust these.  However, this is something that takes much practice and something that I believe most photographers are willing to sacrifice in a camera that otherwise takes excellent photographs.  I personally have a couple of DSLR's which I use for this type of photography.

My question about the current mirrorlss cameras for bird photography concerns photos of sitting birds that are small and likely to be sitting in trees or with other birds.  Can a mirrorless camera focus on a 5-10 incn bird sitting in a tree when there are branches both in front and behing the bird when the total depth of field is 1.5-2.5 inches and the distance beteen the bird and other objects is a few inches.  See the attached photos which I took yesterday as examples of what I think is needed for photographing sitting birds.  

Redpoll

Focus on the top Redpoll and not the bird house or other Redpoll.

Junco

Focus on the Junco and not the branches in front or behind.

Downy Woodpecker

Focus on the Woodpecker and not the suet log.

Sparrow

Focus on the Sparrow and not the evergreen five in to the left or the deck boards five inches behind the bird.

Sparrow

Focus on the Sparrow and not the branches.

In each of these the depth of field is between 1.5 and 2.5 inches and manual focusing is not possible since the birds are continually moving.  If a mirrorless camera is able to do this, then I am ready to purchase one, since most of my photography today does not involve BIF's.  My concern is what I have read about the lack of ablilty to set very small focus points with contrast detection focus.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WellNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow