Started Jan 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
irvin
Regular MemberPosts: 282
Like?
Re: The cost of new lenses
In reply to JeanPierre Martel, Jan 6, 2013

JeanPierre Martel wrote:

irvin wrote:

No, you're not alone. Most good Micro Four Thirds lenses have reached "full frame" prices!

Is the cost of developing a new lens cheaper when the lens is smaller ?

When we buy a new lens, we don't pay for plastic or glass: we're paying for the technological skills of the engineers who has designed that lens.

So I don't mind paying "full frame" price if I get "full frame" quality. Moreover, as long as the market for m4/3 lenses will be lucrative, companies like Olympus and Panasonic will continue to create new lenses of outstanding quality like the M.Zuiko 12mm, 45mm, 60mm Macro, 75mm, and the Lumix 12-35mm and 35-100mm zooms.

And over time, their cost will be declining, making them affordable to everyone. So on the long run, everybody wins.

I respect your point of view - there is no right or wrong in this argument. My personal view is that if I'm going to pay "full frame" prices for top-quality 4/3 gear (not just lenses), I would go full frame and accept the extra bulk and weight as a good compromise in exchange for the extra quality and resell value I get.

I was a long-time Nikon user and I have fully embraced the 4/3 format because of the tiny size. I'm getting older (52) and I'm tired of lugging big, bulky and sometimes intimidating gear. I sold my D300 a couple of years ago and went all in with the GH2. I have not regretted my decision for a single second. However, I'm aware of the BIG compromises: an electronic viewfinder that doesn't exactly show you what you are photographing (takes time to accept the annoying limitation), relatively few lenses to choose from, unknown long-term resell value and the bokeh issues (that have nothing to do with the actual lenses).

So, when I see prices beginning to rival full-frame gear, I do not like it. But that's just my opinion and I respect the opinion of those who disagree with me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow