Started Jan 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nikonworks
Senior MemberPosts: 2,202
Like?
P7700's Digital Zoom examples
Jan 6, 2013

While sitting in my parked car I noticed a branch fall off a pine tree in the corner of my eye.

Then another and another, when I realiized a guy with a chain saw was not pruning a pine tree but stripping the branches off and geting ready to chop it down.

I grabbed my ever present P7700, set it on Auto and took the following shots.

When 200mm equivalent was not enugh I changed the image quality to permit digital zoom and continued shooting.

The images only have a Shadow/highlight adjustment in CS4, and a tone adjustment in PhotoPerfect, due to the high contrast of the subject matter.

No crop, resize, nor sharpening. All handheld.

I am very satisfied wth the results.

I can even make out the wood chips flying off the chain saw with the worker's shirt as a background.

For the distance, moving subject matter, hand holding, IMHO, these are great digital zoom results.

Which enabled me to get a feel for something taking place in my suroundings.

I must try it with a tripod next time.

Here are my pics:

28 mm, subject is pine tree in the center of the frame.

200 mm equiv.

Full Digital Zoom, check out the wood chips flying off the saw.

Backed off to 139.6mm (P7700 measure) to get tree top falling. Here it falls toward my location.

Back to full digital zoom, a half a minute after this the bucket was low behind the house, tree no longer.

I hope you find this interesting and for travel the digital zoom can expand your horizons.

Another reason why the P7700 is a great camera, to me and many other people.

Nikon Coolpix P7700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow