HDR photography

Started Jan 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
markkuk
Contributing MemberPosts: 572Gear list
Like?
Re: HDR photography
In reply to Cheers1957, Jan 6, 2013

Cheers1957 wrote:

I am just starting to learn about HDR photography using Photomatix. All the tutorials and indeed all the books I have read seem to suggest that you take a number of photos for example one with the settings I choose, then a photo 1 or more stops underexposed and a photo 1 or more stops overexposed.

Why would I want to do this?

The purpose of HDR photography is to capture a scene with higher range of light values than your camera's sensor is capable of reproducing in a single exposure. If you aren't shooting multiple shots at different exposure values, you aren't doing HDR photography.

- I am working with Nikon Capture NX2 - I can take any photo that I think would be OK for HDR and then use that photo to save 1 image underexposed, 1 image overexposed and the original photo - this combines OK in Photomatix.

If you just want to produce images with the ugly, overprocessed look of many tone-mapped HDR photos then you can do that, but don't call it HDR because it isn't.

markkuk's gear list:markkuk's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow