A99 #2 vs Nex5n video test + mini A99 hybrid shooter review

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mikael Kaplar
Regular MemberPosts: 226Gear list
Like?
Re: A99 #2 vs Nex5n video test + mini A99 hybrid shooter review
In reply to tbcass, Jan 6, 2013

+1

I´m with you here tbcass. Seems like many people searching for the Holy Grail of photographic equipment, which sadly does not exist. The do it all camera is a dream not very likely come through.

I can relate to photocriss´s problem and yes, that would be a very handy solution to use just one camera for all but it is impossible on professional level.

Photocriss mentions run and gun event video. If you are a serious pro who gets adequate pay for the job, you would not do it alone. I am in the same situation like he is (assuming he is a he) and I do have the A99 as my still and for video I use the Canon FX300 video cam. On assignments when I need both, I always have an assistant familiar with my style of shooting and he takes over the stills while I´m on the video - or I just do only video or only stills. Makes life much easier.

The Canon is a dream run and gun videocam. It has broadcast quality 4:2:2 pulldown with 50Mb/sec, reliable AF, very good autoWB, auto iris, great - though fixed - L lens with long reach, two XLR in socket, glass ND filter built in and you can use it completely manual if you like. It´s not cheap but on the other hand it´s a tool and I charge good money to use it. That way my clients get top quality stills and - if needed - broadcast quality video.

Not to mention that I wouldn´t go to a gig with only one camera. I am very familiar with Mr. Murphy´s law

-- hide signature --

Regards
Mikael

Mikael Kaplar's gear list:Mikael Kaplar's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A99 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow