6D Power Issue

Started Jan 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Henrik Herranen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,657Gear list
Like?
Re: What a GPS receiver does
In reply to Philippe Castagna, Jan 6, 2013

Philippe Castagna wrote:

Effectively the GPS do not stop except if you turn it off.

It is always trying to communicate with a satelitte.

Although this might seem like nitpicking, I'd like to correct this because it's a common misconception: a GPS unit does not "communicate with a satellite". It receives information from several GPS satellites (traditionally upto 12), then calculates its location based on the time reference differences between mentioned satellites.

So, all in all, a GPS unit is a pure receiver: it doesn't send any data. (Except if the unit is inside an Apple or Android device where the operating system will kindly send your location through the mobile network to advertisers and your friendly government enhance your user experience.)

As for the 6D: I can understand why the GPS receiver tries to keep track of its location even when the camera is otherwise turned off: getting a location fix can take a lot of time and even be impossible, particularly indoors. Because of this the GPS unit needs to constantly try to keep track of its location so that it can give at least some estimate when the camera is turned on for the brief moment a photo is taken. I'm sure this doesn't making draining the battery less annoying, but at least it is a reason.

Kind regards,
- Henrik

-- hide signature --

And if a million more agree there ain't no great society

Henrik Herranen's gear list:Henrik Herranen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow