Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro or Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro lens?

Started Jan 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
SteB
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,814
Like?
Re: Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro or Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro lens?
In reply to photoguy, Jan 6, 2013

I assume you mean the new image stabilized Sigma 150mm f2.8 and likewise the Canon 100mm f2.8 L IS.

There's probably little difference between in terms of image quality. Macro lenses tend to be top performers and these are 2 of the best. I have the old none image stabilized Sigma 150mm f2.8 and it is very good. It's as sharp as you could expect at all apertures except wide open, and it is definitely not soft then. The new OS version is reputed to be even better.

I'm not sure about the bokeh comparison between the Canon and the Sigma. The Canon is reputed to be good but the longer focal length of the Sigma will always give far more isolation from the background with the same framing.

Overall, image quality is rarely the reason for choosing one macro lens over another as you will struggle to see the difference between them, especially at macro type apertures. So I'd look to focal length and handling. For macro work I would recommend the Canon if you aim to primarily shoot handhelp, and have only one macro lens. The Sigma is better for tripod macro photography as the longer stand off and isolation from the background make it easier to use in this way. Both are perfectly usable handheld or on a tripod. The 150mm makes a good compliment to a short focal length macro lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow