Started Jan 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
chino
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Re: 20mm on OMD concerns
In reply to BonoBox, Jan 6, 2013

BonoBox wrote:

i have the following concerns:

- i remember that several people experienced visible and quite annoying banding issue. is still an issue or the firmware updates solved this problem?

- another concern that i have is the fact that olympus body will not perform any color correction on this lens. Is this something really noticeable? do you have some example of JPEG done and not processed with the 20mm?

Neither I, or a couple of friends with the same setup have ever experienced the banding issue, although i have seen the phenomenon on some pics posted online, so i think its a valid issue, but only for some people. My 20mm is one of the oldest ones, got it with my GF1 some years ago.

Color fringing and other nasties: Yes, these occur, but nothing Lightroom can't take care of. I use the lens mostly indoors and for some street shooting, seldom have i been bothered by fringing and such.

When shooting outdoors i use a cheap small foldable rubber lens hood, it takes care of light leak/flare issues very well, althouth the lens performs pretty well even without a hood.

To put it in another way, due to this lens dimunitive size, i would use it even if it performed a lot worse, i see it as a very high-end body cap lens

One thing that annoys me with this lens is that it doesn't focus as fast as Oly's new lenses, and it makes a bit of a noise, so, not very good for video.

There are thousands of samples taken with the 20mm + om-d combo posted on the net, Google image search is your friend.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SadNew
IMHONew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow