Anybody use the Samyang/Rokinon 35mm 1.4?

Started Jan 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Giant Tsunami
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
Anybody use the Samyang/Rokinon 35mm 1.4?
Jan 6, 2013

I have been planning on buying this lens for a while, referenced a few people to it as well. It is said to be sharper than the canon 35mm 1.4L, which is around $1500 before rebates. I was just wondering if anybody has used it who can attest to the other attributes. From what I read, it has full manual aperture as well, meaning there is not green button metering, what you set the aperture ring to is what you see. This is kinda good and kinda bad.

The bad is your VF dimms as you stop down, and you don't get to see the center of the focal plane with the wide open preview, it is essentiall shooting with a constant DOF preview. The good is you never have to worry about focus shift and you get to use auto metering without having to hit the green button.

I have never used a lens of this type so if anybody has feel free to share the good and bad of their experience. As for the IQ, here is a couple shots from Erphotoreview.com. All their shots were taken with a D700, they have several more posted and other test data.

F1.4 200iso

F5.6 200iso

Anyways, just figured I would post what I knew, and ask around for anybody else's usage. Always hard to find a good IQ very fast lens for a good price, B&H has it for $479.

Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow