Like?
Re: New Olympus 75mm F1.8
In reply to reygon, Jan 6, 2013

reygon wrote:

irvin wrote:

reygon wrote:

irvin wrote:

inasir1971 wrote:

It looks like a great lens - images are terrific and the reviews are great but am I alone in thinking $900 for a 75/1.8 + $70 lens hood is a bit expensive?

No, you're not alone. Most good Micro Four Thirds lenses have reached "full frame" prices!

Disclaimer: the following observation is not directed at the original poster; it's meant to support my point that these lenses are quite overpriced.

If you look at the picture of the young lady with the stroller behind her, you can see that the 2.8 aperture does not render a very good bokeh (look at the stroller). I know it is "the nature of the 4/3 beast": we get 5.6 effective bokeh from our 2.8 lenses, 2.8 from our 1.4, etc. That's a compromise we have to live with in exchange for all the other benefits of the new system.

However, I'd hope lens and camera manufacturers also "compromise" a bit! Just look at the rather hefty price tag on the new GH3....

Hi Irvin, I'm very thrift in buying gears or clothes. I don't buy at regular price. I negotiate or you can call it haggle. My OMD EM5 I got it for 22% discount. So with the OMD EM5 plus 12-50mm lens I only bought it for A$1,088 (recommended retail price is A$1399). For this lens I bought it for 30% less after discount of 10% from store and 20% from Olympus. RRP is A$999. We know OMD EM5 is a great camera (note: I moved to micro 4/3rd from APS-C because of weight and excellent IQ).

Steve Huff, pro photographer who had very positive review on this lens, even compared this with the Nikon Nikkor 85mm F1.4 and I googled that lens it cost US$1249 in Amazon. So for this lens I paid A$700 or US$673. So the Nikon lens is $575 more expensive. I'm very happy with that price difference considering the size, build and excellent IQ on this lens at u4/3rd set-up.

On bokeh, kindly show example of better bokeh than this in u4/3rds or please explain your issues. Take note that there are light factor too when shooting and bokeh are affected by such light. The girl was in shaded area sitting while the stroller was far and partly in sunny part. What else do you expect from stroller bokeh? This lens produced creamy and consistent bokeh. Look and check at the feet of people waking - past behind the girls head. Also Look its great and consistent bokeh in the Seagull's photo (note that light was consistent on this shot under the sun). Please share your bokeh experience or expertise. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

reygon
----------------------------------------------------------------
Take nothing but photos... Kill nothing but time... Leave nothing but footprints...

Hi, Reygon

Quite frankly, I have no idea why anyone would compare the Nikon 85mm 1.4 with this lens - they are very different lenses.

On the bokeh front: in the picture I mentioned, you are getting bokeh equivalent to shooting with a 150mm lens at a 5.6 aperture, even though your lens is being used at 2.8

Here is series of examples and comparisons, illustrating what I said:

http://www.mu-43.com/f51/full-frame-vs-micro-four-thirds-quick-dof-bokeh-test-25093/

Hope it helps explain my point.

Hi Irvin,

I was also surprise he (Steve is the pro / expert) compared it with his Nikon 85mm 1.4. I supposed the Olympus showed its capabilities and results. He was impresses with the results so I leave that to the expert.

Thanks for the link on the bokeh article. I got your point now. I'll be interested if he (GDourado) re-shot and compare it against with OMD EM5 and Olympus prime lenses. He used E-PL2 Panasonic 20mm 1.7. He should also compare Panasonic lenses and Olympic lenses using the same body.

From my end, he was not comparing apple to apple so it's moot to beat up the topic. To ordinary Joe (not too technical and pixel pepping) and to me as long as I liked & satisfied with the result (i.e. focused subject and very good to amazing bokeh) then it's a winner. On the link you provide the duck (main subject and primary focus) was clearly focused and crisp in the E-PL2 compared to the 5D. I also like the overall grain of the E-PL2 compared to 5D. I asked my partner on which one she liked between the 2 ducks (5D vs E-PL2) and without bias she liked the E-PL2 (note: she is not expert in photography but very good on art). So it's "theory of relativity as Einstein" said and the winner on the link you provided is the E-PL2. 4/3rd won over full frame to ordinary girl's eyes!

Keep shooting u4/3rds cos it's great. Cheers

-- hide signature --

reygon
----------------------------------------------------------------
Take nothing but photos... Kill nothing but time... Leave nothing but footprints...

Hi, Reygon

Glad you got my point. That said, your new lens is truly great  and its quality is not part of this bokeh conversation. The limitation is due to sensor size, not the lens. I have seen absolutely stunning images with the Olympus 75mm 1.8, so good luck and happy shooting!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow