6D with 24-105 or wait for 7D replacement??

Started Jan 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Clay King
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?
6D with 24-105 or wait for 7D replacement??
Jan 6, 2013

Clay

Thanks,

Anybody else been in this situation?

If I can hold for the replacement to the 7D, then hopefully I could have it all except FF. I think I could live with that.

My thought, is that I can pick up the 6D and 24-105, have FF with all but the wide angles covered and have my high ISO for low light. My only hesitation is the AF. I can't do the 5DIII because then I won't have any zooms below 70. I could sell the 60D and pick up a Sigma 24-70, but I think I want to keep the crop camera for the additional reach on occasion.

I am happy with most things about the 60D, but would like a better AF system and would like better High ISO performance. I don't want to go with the 7D, because I think it's close to being replaced and it doesn't get me any improvement in high ISO. I like the feel of the 6D, and have been impressed with what I have seen from the high ISO. The 5DIII is probably perfect for what I want, but at the extreme end of the price range.

I shoot a lot of high school sports, and will continue to do so for at least the next three years. I also shoot the typical family events (b-days, wedding receptions, miscellaneous gatherings, etc), have done and plan to continue doing some portrait work (HS Seniors, family pics). Only the very rare landscape, although I have do have a burning itch to shoot barns (I don't know why, I just do...)

I currently have 60D with following canon lenses: EF-S 18-135, 40 pancake 2.8, 50 f/1.8, 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM, 70-200 f/2.8L non IS, 85 f/1.8, extender 1.4 II.

I'm looking for input to help guide my decision...

Clay King's gear list:Clay King's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow