Mac Mini: Please help me figure out where I should invest my upgrade?

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Questions thread
qstudios
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
Re: Mac Mini: Please help me figure out where I should invest my upgrade?
In reply to graybalanced, Jan 6, 2013

Depending on on your budget I would go with:

- OWC data doubler

- Samsung 840 or  840PRO SSD (128 / 256 / 512GB)

- 16GB RAM (Corsair Vengeance x 2 modules )

Now if you don't want to open up your mini then I would go with this paired with an SSD.

The Adapter w/o SSD drive.  The drive would site on the flat plate and you connect it by pushing it into the SATAIII connector there.  It actually looks pretty good with the Samsung black on black.

Seagate STAE128 Backup Plus Portable Thunderbolt Adapter

Please note that this is a bus powered adapter and will only work well with 256GB SSD drives and smaller w/o issue.  Secondly you need to buy the thunderbolt cable it doesn't come with one.  Last the performance for this adaptor is pretty good but, not the best TB case for highest throughput (if you search around you can find performance #'s for the different enclosures - USB3 and TB).

Just for reference I have 2 @ 2012 Mini's in the house now (i5 and i7) and I went with internal SSD upgrades using the OWC data doubler and upgraded to 16GB of RAM.  One of the units is using the Seagate TB adapter with 128GB SSD that I move between systems when needed.

From my upgrades I saw a definite improvement in file access and program launch times.  The RAM also helped multiple programs running at the same time (Office, iPhoto, Itunes, Safari, etc.) without any hit but of course depending on your expectations YMMV.

qstudios's gear list:qstudios's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow