First try with homemade studio set up

Started Jan 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,506Gear list
Like?
Re: First try with homemade studio set up
In reply to J Fisker Copenhagen, Jan 6, 2013

Not a bad start at all but I few nit picks.  Your son is turned away from the main light so his face is under lit. With both subjects turned to the center you want to light more from the center.  Try clamshell lighting with this pose.

You want overboard on warning up the WB.  I can see the separation between the subject's hair but a hair light(s) would have improved the image.

I suggest you move your fill light so that it is right next to the camera lens on the opposite side of the lens from the main light.  Using the fill light at an identical angle from the camera as the main light is not usually the best use of your fill light.

Here are some good references on lighting and posing.

Portrait Lighting - Names for different portrait lighting set-ups in photography

Benji's Studio Lighting and Posing Tutorial

Benji - The Rules Of Good Portraiture in PDF Format for Printing

Benji - PS Technique For Checking Exposure (Portraits)

Ed Shapiro - The fabulous fill light...an article

How to Handle HANDS

Peter Hurley! | It's all about the Jaw

Amazon.com: Light Science and Magic, Fourth Edition: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting (9780240812250): Fil Hunter, Paul Fuqua, Steven Biver: Books

Amazon.com: Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It: Learn Step by Step How to Go from Empty Studio to Finished Image (Voices That Matter) (9780321786616): Scott Kelby: Books

Amazon.com: Skin: The Complete Guide to Digitally Lighting, Photographing, and Retouching Faces and Bodies (9780470592120): Lee Varis, Rick Sammon: Books

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow