Canon 90 EX for beginner as a Master unit?

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
DoctorPDA
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
Re: Here's how to control flashes manually.
In reply to TangoMan, Jan 6, 2013

TangoMan wrote:

This is my first time buying an off camera flash, and have only used DSLR for the past 6 months. I don't know if I have enough knowledge yet for manual flash, but I bought a few books to learn about it. I also have to figure out whether a soft box or umbrella is better for my use (portrait).

It's really quite simple.

Does that help?

TangoMan----- thanks for taking the time to write your post and your other response regarding umbrella.  Your explanation is pretty simple- I will try that out soon.  I think that is what I'm doing with my 'on-camera flash' on my T2i.  When the flash is too bright, I use flash exposure compensation to decrease the output, and that works just fine.

BAK---- thanks, I thought 33 feet was too long, but the next shortest one I could find on B&H photo was 6.5 feet, which may or may not be enough.  I know they have cords on other sites, but I like B&H's customer service.  I thought I'd need 5 feet each for cord to go from my tripod to the floor, and 5 feet from the floor to the top of the umbrella stand, then I'd need maybe up to 10 feet for cord to go to the site of the stand.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow